THC transdermal patches are one of the most unique ways to try cannabis. But what exactly are these patches? What are they used for, and can they get you high? Read on to learn more about THC transdermal patches and how they work.
Can THC transdermal patches get you high?
THC transdermal patches work by releasing small amounts of THC through your skin and into your bloodstream. While the slow release of THC over time does not produce a “high” like a joint or an edible, you could experience some intoxicating effects after applying a THC transdermal patch.
You might experience the full-body high provided by some higher-dose patches, but lower-dose THC transdermal patches are a great option if you want the physical effects of THC with a less intense high. Both offer a unique method of cannabinoid delivery, especially for those who find relief with topical products.
What does transdermal mean?
Transdermal refers to products that enter your bloodstream through your skin, as opposed to many topical products that don’t enter your bloodstream. THC transdermal patches deliver cannabinoids into your circulation gradually over time through an adhesive patch. The cannabinoids are absorbed directly through your skin to provide the dose of THC listed on the packaging. Some transdermal patches are more potent than others and may provide varying effects, so be sure to choose the potency that’s right for your needs.
What about other topical products — can they get you high?
The vast majority of topical products are not transdermal. Transdermal patches are an exception to this rule.
Topical products like lotions or oils deliver localized effects only where they’re applied, which means they interact with the endocannabinoid receptors in that area. A topical applied to a sore knee, for example, only has an effect on your knee, while a transdermal patch applied to your knee would have an effect on your knee and could have an effect throughout your body.
Why should you try transdermal patches?
Transdermal patches are an excellent cannabis product for long-lasting relief, slowly releasing cannabinoids for up to 12 hours at a time. Some benefits of transdermal patches include:
- Fast acting: Transdermal patches deliver cannabinoids directly into your bloodstream and allow them to circulate immediately. This means they take effect right away, as opposed to products like edibles that need to be digested before you feel them.
- Full-body relief: Because THC is absorbed directly into circulation, transdermal patches can affect your whole body, not just where they’re placed. While topicals like lotions and cream target one localized spot, transdermal patches are a great option if you need widespread pain relief or you want to relax.
- Discreet: Transdermal patches are great if you’re looking for a concealable consumption method. While joints and vapes can be pretty obvious, transdermal patches hide under clothing.
- Ease of use. Just clean your skin and place the patch. There’s no flower to grind, joints to roll, or tincture to measure.
- Precise dosage: Patches are great because you don’t need to remember when or how much to dose. They are designed to be worn for extended periods to provide relief longer than most other forms of consumption.
- Bioavailability: One of the benefits of transdermal delivery is that cannabinoids enter circulation directly, without passing through your stomach or liver first. This maximizes their bioavailability, providing fast-acting and long-lasting relief.
3 things to know before trying transdermal patches
Keep the following in mind before trying transdermal patches to ensure you have an optimal experience.
- Know your surroundings: It’s always important to be comfortable when experimenting with any new THC product. Because transdermal patches do have the potential to get you high, be sure to try them in a familiar environment and when you don’t have to drive.
- Keep patches clean and dry: Most THC transdermal patches are low maintenance and you can sleep in them and splash them. Some can even be showered in, but it is always advisable to keep patches clean and try to minimize the amount of water they’re exposed to, even if they’re designed to withstand showering. This guarantees that they’ll work for as long as they’re designed and the adhesive won’t wear off.
- Know the differences between products: Like any other THC product, transdermal patches offer varying levels of potency and strength. The effects of THC transdermal patches last anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days, depending on quality.
Transdermal patches at Iconic Wellness
Iconic Wellness stocks THC transdermal patches from Mary’s Medicinals at our Lowell, Sturgis, and Gaylord locations. We offer both sativa and indica patches that provide all-day relaxation and relief. Stop by any Iconic Wellness locations to shop for products or speak with one of our expert team members to determine if THC transdermal patches are right for you.